Answered By: Leslie Hunter-Larson Last Updated: May 16, 2016 Views: 38988
Answered By: Leslie Hunter-Larson
Last Updated: May 16, 2016 Views: 38988
- Press ctrl+A to select all text.
- Go to the Review tab.
- Click on Language and Set Proofing Language.
- Uncheck the "Detect language automatically" and "Do not check spelling or grammar" boxes.
This works for MS Word versions 2007 and 2010.
- this worked! THANKS!!!
- This has been a thorn in my side for MONTHS!
Thank you for explaining how to fix this :)
- I had to turn "on" the checks, close the tab, then return and uncheck them, to clear up this problem.
- Thanks so much for providing the answer to fix this problem.
- This also works for Outlook!
- I had spelling errors in my resume because of this! :-( Thanks for the fix!
- Thank you! I have no idea how this came to be the setting on my son's paper, but your solution worked like a charm!
- Wow....this works...actually i was frustrated with this problem.. finally I am happy...and thank you sooooo much...
- Thank you very much.
- I tried that but it keeps on automatically going back to the original setting and not allowing me to use spellcheck. Is there anything else I can do?
- Esther, after you make sure "Do not check spelling and grammar" is unchecked, click the "Set as default" button.
- Honestly! Thank you. This has been a complete pain for me for a year. I could not figure out what was going on. For some reason, though, it will id a spelling error but I cannot right click to fix the spelling error.
- None of these suggestions worked for me in Word 2013 and there is no "Set as Default" button in the Proofing window. It was working fine until just now and it continues NOT to flag "brnaches" when the correct spelling is "branches". I have also clicked the button..."Recheck Document" several times and it only re-identifies a few proper nouns I told it to ignore.
- What Paula did (Respondent #3) worked for me, Thanks
- Yes worked for me!! THANKS.
- Yay!! Worked! Thank you
- My language bar is not working on selected text. So spell is happy with my check on a different language. (Win 10 Office 2016) hallod
So I wrote the previous word in Hungarian, setting was English. It correctly flagged it. Then I selected it, changed language to Hungarian, and it remained selected.
- THANK YOU!!!
- Thank you!!!! I have been trying to update my cover letter and resume and this has been frustrating me. No other "help" site has given this suggestion. It worked like a charm.
- thank you for this, it was doing my head in. i'm not too sure why it did it in the first place but thanks helped a lot
- DID NOT WORK. NONE OF THE "FIXES" WORK. I have two very clearly misspelled words in a document yet Word says they are fine. For instance, "crowdeded." SMH FLIPPING ANNOYING
- For some reason these boxes keep re-ticking themselves, even though I'm setting the option as default. HELP!!!!!!!
- Thank you so much, this has been driving me crazy for weeks. I have been in and out of the internet trying to find a way to fix this and your site was the only one that gave the correct prompts. Thank you.
- I took the steps as indicated but still having problems. I am grading papers and running them through word. Misspellings such as introcuction and learndt are not being caught. It doesn't even pick up fragment sentences.
- Thanks a bunch, mate. Worked first time. Well done! Keep it Up! Very grateful!
- Thank you!
Chat with a Librarian
More Ways to Ask a Librarian